For Holmdel Township Residents
The Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS) is the new online application process for obtaining Firearms ID cards and handgun permits.
FARS is taking the place of the STS 033 form. Applicants can apply for all the same options as the paper application form with the exception of Permits to Carry.
All Holmdel Township residents should apply online via the New Jersey State Police FARS website.
- Step 1
- Go to the FARS website
- Step 2
- Complete the online application on FARS. Applicants must use the Holmdel Police Department ORI number (NJ0131800). Applicant must utilize the correct ORI number.
- If the applicant makes a mistake while applying, they simply can re-apply. All application fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- FARS requires the applicant to provide email address and phone numbers of two reputable references (friends, co-workers, family members, etc.). References will receive a questionnaire via email. References must complete the questionnaire immediately in order to process your background investigation.
- Applicants will receive automated email updates throughout the application process.
- Step 3
- Applicants must pay for the Initial Firearms Identification Card (FID) and/or Pistol Purchase permits. Applications will not be processed until fee(s) are paid in full.
- The FID card fee is $5.00. Each handgun permit fee is $2.00. The fee(s) are non-refundable and are required per NJAC 13:54-1.4. Cash, check or money order is accepted. Make checks payable to Holmdel Township Police Department.
- Payments must be made in person during normal business hours. Applicants must bring all of the following; payment, valid driver's license and/or photo ID, a printed copy of the FARS application that includes confirmation number.
- Step 4.
- Once the application is completed, approved and paid for, a police department representative will contact the applicant to pick up their FID card and/or permit(s).
Police Department Hours/Contact
Applicants can make payment, sign documents and obtain FID cards and permits Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. Report to the Records Bureau window in Police Headquarters. For questions or concerns regarding cards and permits, contact us at 732-946-9690, ext. 1741.
Mental Health Search Forms
If in the past 10 years (from application date) the applicant lived in other states, the applicant must submit a Mental Health Search Form at the Holmdel Police Department. Applicants will sign the form in the presence of a department representative, giving us permission to request Mental Health Search outside of New Jersey.
First Time Applicants & Current Firearms Identification (FID) Card Holders
First time applicants must be fingerprinted. During the FARS process, the applicant will be prompted to print the IdentoGO form to arrange for fingerprinting.
If the applicant has been previously fingerprinted for firearms purposes, upon completion of the application and payment, the applicant will complete an online 212A Form for a background check.
Questions or concerns regarding FARS can be directed to the New Jersey State Police at 609-882-2000.